I also happen to be a rather terrible frontend engineer. So I'm restricted to using the nice point and click tools available to design my blog and also free and/or opensource themes available online.
Which brings me to this website...
I know it is ugly. Let me get that out of the way. Piggybacking on Blogger.com's services doesn't put me in a position where I can choose from among classily designed themes. Instead I'm left to pick among what is available and select colors (another area I'm poor at).
Armed with the power of the internet and minimal useful skills, I am attempting to do something which is probably the hardest journey I've ever undertaken - revamp my blog and make it look good, atleast to my own eyes.
Here are some of the things I am planning to do:
- Try taking up online courses in design
- Pick up a little more of frontend development
- See how much Blogger.com blogs can be beautified
- Evaluate WordPress.com once again (I'm a former user) as a baseline
- Evaluate Tumblr, Ghost, Medium and other blogging engines
- Try free themes from the internet and plug them into a custom static site generator to see how that works out
- Learn basics of online publishing and figure out stuff like getting my content across to users
I'll be sharing the results here along with any software I wrote in the process. The process would probably last a few months due to my schedule but this blog post is where it all starts!